Summer Pregnancy Tips: Stay comfortable and Healthy
Are you expecting a summer baby? Stay cool, comfortable, and safe with our essential summer pregnancy tips. From beating the heat to staying hydrated, we’ve got you covered. Discover how to make the most of your summer pregnancy and enjoy this special time under the sun.
As we welcome the arrival of summer heat, it’s important to remember that rising temperatures bring a need for extra precautions to stay comfortable and safe in the scorching heat.
With the blazing sun overhead, it’s crucial to refresh our knowledge on how to navigate and thrive in the hot weather that is characteristic of our region. Due to the harsh, hot, and humid nature of summers in the UAE, it is crucial to avoid overheating.
Pregnant women, in particular, need to be extra cautious as the natural rise in body temperature during pregnancy makes them more susceptible to the effects of high temperatures. In this blog, we are going to explain in detail what to follow to stay healthy in the summer.
Tips for Staying Comfortable During Summers
1. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to prevent dehydration. Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go, and sip on water regularly. Take lots of water and avoid spicy foods. Take 8 glasses of water on a daily basis. To fully enjoy the beach, opt for either the early morning or evening hours when the sun is not directly overhead.
During these times, there is less direct sunlight, making it more comfortable. To keep your body temperature cool, consider taking regular dips in a refreshing pool or spraying your body with cool water or even ice water.
2. If you plan on swimming in the sea, it’s important to bring a chilled bottle of water with you to the beach to ensure continuous hydration. Keeping yourself well-hydrated while swimming will help prevent dehydration and keep your body temperature regulated.
3. For an immediate and refreshing boost, consider using homemade popsicles. Prepare popsicles using a mixture of water, citrus juice, and cranberry extract to add both flavor and health benefits. These popsicles can be a delicious and nutritious way to cool down and stay hydrated during hot summer days.
4. It is advisable to wear breathable and lightweight clothing made of natural fibers that have the ability to dissipate heat and absorb moisture. Choosing fabrics such as cotton, linen, or bamboo can help keep you comfortable in hot weather by allowing air circulation and wicking away sweat from your skin. These natural fibers promote better breathability, helping to regulate your body temperature and prevent excessive sweating.
5. Don’t forget to wear protective sunglasses as your eyes are also sensitive to UV light, just like your skin. Opt for sunglasses with UV protection to shield your eyes from harmful ultraviolet rays. This will not only reduce the risk of eye damage but also provide you with clearer vision and added comfort while enjoying the sunny weather.
6. Remember to use high-quality sunscreen without oxybenzone to avoid hormone disruption. Apply it generously to all exposed areas, and remember to reapply every two hours, especially if you’re sweating or swimming.
7. It is important to seek shade whenever possible, even if you have applied SPF cream. Direct sunlight can still overheat your body and potentially lead to serious complications. Prioritize staying in shaded areas to minimize exposure to the sun’s intense heat and reduce the risk of overheating. Air conditioning is also a good option.
8. Remember to wear a hat to protect your face from pigmentation and prevent heatstroke by keeping your head covered in outdoor activities.
9. If you start feeling unwell after being exposed to hot temperatures, try taking a cool bath, drinking plenty of chilled water, and consider taking a single dose of Panadol for relief. These measures can help lower your body temperature and alleviate discomfort caused by heat-related symptoms. Remember to seek medical attention if your condition does not improve or worsen.
An insight from Mamahood
Remember, prioritizing your comfort and well-being during pregnancy is essential. By following these tips, you can better manage the challenges of the UAE’s summer heat and ensure a healthier and more enjoyable experience. Regularly communicate with your healthcare provider about any concerns or symptoms you may experience during the summer months. For more support, you can always contact Mamahood Health Advisors for specific advice and guidance based on your individual needs.