Many soon-to-be moms deal with a common issue – acid reflux or heartburn. The hormonal changes during pregnancy can relax the stomach’s “closing muscle,” leading to the escape of stomach acid into the esophagus. While medications like Nexium are commonly prescribed, it’s essential to be aware of their classification as class C drugs due to potential fetal toxicity. As a safer alternative, pregnant women can explore natural remedies to alleviate and manage acid reflux.
- Opt for small, frequent meals throughout the day to prevent overloading the stomach.
- Eat slowly and chew food thoroughly to aid digestion.
- Avoid drinking water during meals to prevent dilution of stomach acids.
- Steer clear of fried, spicy, or fatty foods that can trigger acid reflux.
- Eliminate acidic foods and drinks such as citrus, tomato juice, and coffee from your diet.
- Refrain from eating late at night, allowing sufficient time for digestion before lying down.
- Elevate the head of your bed by placing several books under the mattress. This prevents stomach acid from flowing back into the esophagus.
- Resist the urge to lie down immediately after meals to minimize the risk of acid reflux.
- Chew sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva production, which can help neutralize stomach acid.
- Consider Slippery Elm Tea. This herbal tea contains mucilage, which can soothe the stomach lining and alleviate discomfort.
- A safe alternative to over-the-counter antacids, Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice (DGL)can be chewed as needed for relief.
- Explore homeopathic remedies such as Lycopodium and Nux Vomica, which are considered safe for pregnancy and may provide relief from heartburn.
An insight from mamahood
Dear Mama, your health is of utmost importance to us, and we’re here to support you with natural remedies to ease your pregnancy journey. As you navigate the journey, consider these tips as your companions in overcoming heartburn. Keep in mind that every challenge you face is a step nearer to welcoming your precious one. Please note that before trying any new remedies, it’s always advisable to consult with your healthcare professional to ensure they align with your unique health conditions and pregnancy specifics. For more support, connect with Mamahood Health Advisors via Live Chat or Private Mail.